Search This Blog

Welcome to Machers Blog

Blogging the world of Technology and Testing which help people to build their career.

Friday, December 19, 2008

Qualities to look for in a software performance tester

Mike Kelly



Q- Can you give me five or six bullet points for a performance tester and what we need to be looking for when hiring a new person?



A- Attempting to honor the request for a short list (because I could very easily come up with a long list), here is what I came up with off the top of my head. Note the things that I would be willing to pay more for in terms of salary. If I didn't say based on salary, then the level I've indicated would be required.

Can they test (analysis skills, techniques, planning, etc.)?
intermediate
Can they model (UCML, UML, various diagrams, concept modeling, etc.)?
intermediate to advanced based on salary
Do they know math (probability and statistics)?
intermediate to advanced based on salary
Do they know hardware, networks, and application servers (servers, routers, switches, JVMs, configurations, etc.) ?
basic (they know where to find info and what questions to ask)
Do they know tools (HTTP Spy, Etherial, LoadRunner, Robot, RPT, OpenSTA, etc.) ?
basic to advanced depending on salary
Can they code (not tool-code, but code-code)?
basic to advanced depending on salary

No comments: